Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Minimalist or Miniaturist?

Ok, so this is not a word reclamation, it’s quite simply a popular use of one word and a redefinition of the other.

Minimalist is a word used to describe art, but can also be used to describe a kind of lifestyle where excess is removed from one’s life—excess of stuff or space. This is an attractive concept for many of us who are victims of a culture of excess. We have too much stuff and we spend much of our time maintaining that stuff. More than once a month, I have a mind to pitch most of it, but then I refrain. Aren’t we supposed to Reduce, reuse, and recycle? Throwing stuff out in the trash wouldn’t be responsible greenness. So, I’m stuck with my stuff.

Jon and I have been talking about how we really don’t want to be minimalist…we like our stuff. We would much rather be miniaturist, and by that I don’t mean we would begin painting miniature portraits. Instead, we would rather have all of our stuff be small or take up less space. Have a stereo, but make it a mini i-pod. Have a high-quality tv, but get the 17”. Get smaller furniture, smaller containers of food, smaller everything.

I wish the developers of things kept small in mind, and made a small version of everything. I wish you didn’t have to pay extra to buy the small container of applesauce rather than the large one that will certainly mold before you get to it.

Any other miniaturists out there?

No comments: