Sunday, August 19, 2007

A heart cry

A heart cry

Sometimes when I’m tired or sick or afraid
I hear my heart cry, “I want my mom!”

It is an intense longing; a cry from deep inside.
Like an infant in her crib crying out,
She knows that she is not enough in and of herself.

What is this my heart is longing for?
To lay my head on the softness of her shoulder;
To awaken to the smell of coffee and
her warm skin wrapped in cotton pajamas.

It is to run in the dark with your heart in your ears
Knowing that if you could just get to the side of the bed
You would be safe and the pounding would stop.

It is waking her up in the middle of the night,
To talk through some anxious pain,
And she, listening over a bowl of ice cream.

It is feeling her there at every proud moment,
Watching you with wet eyes;
Knowing you are filling her heart with joy.

It is her hand gently stroking your hairline
As you cry out in the night;
Rocking back and forth in pain;
As you bring forth your own child;
Your heart is not crying…

Mom is there.

No comments: