Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Work Apnea

I’m sitting at the computer working diligently on something and suddenly, I inhale a deep, involuntarily breath and realize that I have been holding my breath. Sometimes it happens on the phone during an intense conversation, sometimes in church when the speaker takes my mind and carries it along a path that is both intriguing and personal. I call this phenomenon “work apnea.”

The sudden breath of oxygen reminds me that no matter how intense life is, I still need the basics to survive. I can put the base needs aside for awhile to concentrate on something intense and important, but eventually I will have to meet those needs. Remember to breathe, take care of the basics. Don’t let work apnea steal away the quality of your life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one to suffer from it. There's been many times I would be concentrating on something so much that I forget to breathe. It happens with me a lot because I breathe shallowly anyway.